Thursday, September 19, 2013

Project 365 New Things: Day 14

Disclaimer: Today's new thing may not seem all that exciting to you, but it is a big deal to me. So deal with it.

As most of you have doubtless deduced by now from reading this blog, I am about as coordinated as an intoxicated housefly. As you also undoubtedly know, I am part of a Shakespeare company that I have been rhapsodizing in great detail as of late. I am absolutely loving it, but it is incredibly physically demanding. We do several warm-up exercises that leave me with the general feeling that I have been liberally coated in meat tenderizer. However, the more I do these exercises, in general, the easier they become. Except for (wait for it): The headstand.

Yes, just lean back in your chair and picture it for a moment: A lanky blonde, clad completely in black, surrounded by reasonably coordinated people as she desperately flails like an aerial starfish in an attempt to create a mere, pale shadow of their success, falling over a lot in the process. That blonde is me. During the first day, I couldn't even get my feet off of the ground. BUT. Today --and this is where the new thing comes in-- today, I GOT BOTH FEET OFF THE GROUND. AT THE SAME TIME. FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER. Now, I didn't manage to a) do a complete headstand, or b) keep the aforementioned feet in this position for more than the count of three, BUT. Progress was made. I found (more or less) my 'balance point,' which is apparently an important element of a satisfactory, non-lethal headstand.

I will keep practicing this at home, but I will avoid doing so right next to my book case again, as tonight I nearly knocked it over as my blonde head went sailing through the air on an unexpected journey towards the Earth's core. Fun stuff.

As always, comment what you've done today if you're doing the project too, and feel free to leave any ideas for new things that I could try.

Farewell for now.

~Maddie

3 comments:

  1. New things you could try... hmm. Have you ever listened to anything by Yiruma? He's a brilliant, brilliant piano composer and, being as focused on music as you are, you really ought to listen to some of his pieces. Some of my favorites are "River Flows in You", "May Be", "Indigo", and "Letter". Give them a listen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. How have you failed to notice this in all the years I have known you?

      Delete

Let me know what you think about whatever it is I've just posted. Be nice. This includes not using unwarranted, unnecessary, and unneeded apostrophes.