Sunday, September 8, 2013

Project 365 New Things: Day 3

So today, I kind of hit a wall. I'd spent the whole afternoon doing Spanish, and when I decided to take a break to do today's challenge, I could not think of a single thing that I could do. I didn't have the energy to cook something, I didn't have time to memorize a Shakespeare sonnet, I was at home rather than in a densely populated area and in possession of a bouquet of tulips, etc.

So I wandered around the house, looking for inspiration. Out of pure desperation, I picked up a bag of sidewalk chalk, determined to do something, anything with it that I had never done before.

After a fruitless Google search (did you know that you can use sidewalk chalk for the monumentally boring task of polishing silverware?), on impulse I ran into the bathroom, filled up the sink, and tossed in the chalk, just to see if it would float. It did not. I then ran downstairs to the microwave, and an astounding quantity of nothing happened after I heated up the chalk in it for ten seconds. Then I picked up a crayon so that the chalk could have mimed epic art supply battle, but they just ended up becoming friends and doing a dance on the kitchen counter. I then decided that the noble thing to do would be to give up, because I was clearly and unmistakably showing the signs of a textbook case of 'getting absolutely nowhere with these shenanigans.'

So I went into my room and decided to write a poem using the first line of the first ten songs that came onto my iPod when I shuffled my songs. Here is the result:

There's a fog upon L.A.
We made love all day
I'd like to be under the sea
Have a bit of me and a whole lot of you
Sun is shining in the sky, there ain't a cloud in sight
Haven't seen you since high school
She's not a girl who misses much
There'll be girls across the nation that'll eat this up
Cecilia, you're breaking my heart
No, I can't take one more step towards you.

Tadaaaaaaa.

I apologize for the lack of interesting content today. I will do something much more interesting tomorrow! As always, if you're following the project, comment your challenge for today, and if you have any ideas for me, please oh PLEASE comment those as well.

~Maddie

3 comments:

  1. You're not the only one, Maddie... I haven't done anything yet today because of the two and a half hours of poetry lectures I have to watch and the millions of classic poems I have to read. Did you know that "classic poem" is just a synonym for "very very VERY long configuration of words that strives to keep you from enjoying life"?

    I probably shouldn't be anywhere but my course website right now, but whatever. Hopefully I'll have time to do SOMETHING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, really quick before I have to go to bed-
    Today I learned how to write in Greek characters. Not that I'm fluent or anything, I merely learned how to write my name, a bunch of my friends' names, "Doctor Who", "River Song", and "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

    And- not that this counts as my thing for today- I made my own blog. I decided that posting about my efforts for 365 New Things on my own blog would be more efficient than continuing to post in the comments on here. I haven't actually gotten around to posting anything about 365 New Things yet, just a wee little introduction post. The URL is(can't post links in the comments):
    http://fireiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^Oh, sorry, that was me commenting above. I changed my display name on Blogger for this new blog I'm doing. But regardless of the display name, I am the person who beat you at fencing. Just so you know it's not some weirdo. (Then again...:)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think about whatever it is I've just posted. Be nice. This includes not using unwarranted, unnecessary, and unneeded apostrophes.