Saturday, September 7, 2013

Project 365 New Things: Day 2

I did an art!


I've seen this done a couple times, and I've desperately wanted to try it for a while. I used my hot glue gun to place the crayons on the canvas, and then I took a hair dryer and melted the crayons. Things learned: use newspaper underneath. Pink doesn't like to do as it's told. Don't overdo it with the hairdryer. And no matter how hard you try, the colors won't melt in exactly the way that you want them to, though the end result is probably prettier than you could have imagined. I am vaguely aware that this last observation, with a bit of tweaking, could become a rather soppy and rainbow-y metaphor for life, but I've decided not to bother too much with that one.

Now, I want to know: does the art look better like this:


Or on its side, like this?


By the way, if you're doing the project too (I know a few of you said you were going to), go ahead and comment what you did for a particular day on my corresponding post! I'm honestly having a ball with this project so far, and I'd love to hear what all of you have been up to.

Yours in spontaneity and rainbow-y-ness,
~Maddie


3 comments:

  1. Oh, this is a fun one.
    Today I played in quicksand!
    No joke. We were hanging around the ranch where we're presently vacationing, and no-one was really doing anything. At some point, I looked out the window and did a double-take.
    River.
    Big river.
    Teton River.
    It's hot outside.
    I instantly marched to the local parental unit and demanded(nicely, of course) to be taken to the river. My dad agreed, but of course there was no guarantee as to /when/ it would happen. After about an hour of fancy-shmancy local cheese, crackers(not local), and American Ninja Warrior(also not local), my dad finally got up off of the ugly, off-green couch and agreed to take us. (Yes, I’m getting to the point.)
    So we headed down to the river and jumped in. It was freezing at first but we got used to it. Then my dear brother starting tramping around like a myopic water buffalo and suddenly sunk five inches into the ground. My dad chose that moment to remember that there was quicksand in the river.
    Now, I’m not talking about Hollywood quicksand where it’s a whirlpool with sand in it, actively sucking you down. It’s basically water and mud that cleverly disguises itself as land and then grabs your leg with an iron fist. This made my brother as happy as if his birthday had become a national holiday. His instant response- “Let’s find some more quicksand!”
    We walked up and down the river bank, looking for likely spots. One person would stand on shore and hold the other person’s hands as that person lowered themselves into the water to test for quicksand. (We were only allowed to do it by the side of the river because my dad didn’t want us to drown.)
    Anyway. This went on for hours(no matter how stupid it sounds) and was refreshingly new and interesting. Funny the things we come up with when we’re bored!
    (Wow. I think I just won World’s Longest Comment.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wonderful! Thank you for this incredibly well-written account that discloses both the true nature of quicksand and that of brothers. I'm now going to look up the definition of the word "myopic."

      Delete
    2. Ha! I used a word you don't know!

      I feel so accomplished :')

      Delete

Let me know what you think about whatever it is I've just posted. Be nice. This includes not using unwarranted, unnecessary, and unneeded apostrophes.