Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Project 365 New Things: Day 6

Today, like the true Girl Scout that I am, I learned what to do in case of a flood. I do not, by any stretch of the imagination, live in an area where this is a serious concern, but I figure the more I know about everything ever, the better off I'll be in this life. And it occurred to me that if the skies suddenly opened up and dumped an ocean on my home town, I honestly would not know how to handle it, so this most certainly counts for today's challenge.

Did you know that fires are the most common concern after a flood, because power and gas lines may have gotten messed up? In retrospect, I suppose that makes perfect sense, but while I read it I couldn't help but think that that's sort of like worrying about a drought if you're a mermaid and you live in a coral reef.

Basically, the recommendations if you're caught in a flood are fairly obvious: get to high ground. No duh, Sherlock. Do not try to wade, walk, drive or swim through a flooded area, because the current may be strong and it may be deeper than it looks. When entering a building, wear thick-soled shoes, carry a battery-operated flashlight and look out for wildlife, fire hazards, broken electrical lines and signs that the building may collapse. If you're in a car, do not try to drive around a flooded area if you can help it. Turn around and find a different route rather than driving through a flood.

Remember this information. It might save your life one day, dear reader. And then you'll thank me for this somewhat boring post.

As always, comment suggestions for things that I could try or an account of your own exploits today (or a link, if you are Cassandra). Until tomorrow!

~Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think about whatever it is I've just posted. Be nice. This includes not using unwarranted, unnecessary, and unneeded apostrophes.